Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

Mamaw's sugar cookies

My very first blog post will be to share a simple recipe I've been making with my Mamaw for a long time - her sugar cookies. I think the recipe is from a really old Betty Crocker book, but my Mom says they're her favorite cause they're always super soft, even days after we made them.

These are my sisters, Reagan and Faith, decorating Mamaw's cookies for Christmas


Mamaw's Sugar Cookies

       1 cup margarine or butter, softened
       1 egg
       1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
       1 teaspoon baking soda
       1 teaspoon cream of tartar
          Granulated sugar
Mix powdered sugar, margarine, egg, vanilla, and almond extract. Mix in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Heat oven to 375. Divide dough into halves. Roll each half 3/16 inch thick on lightly floured cloth-covered board. Cut into shapes.
Sprinkle with granulated sugar; place on lightly greased sheet. Bake until edges are light brown, 7 to 8 minutes. (YIELDS 5 dozen 2-inch cookies)
*If using self-rising flour, omit baking soda and cream of tartar. 
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Try them out and let me know if you like them! What are your favorite sugar cookie recipes? I am always looking to collect more recipes!

Remember, you're never too little for big ideas!

17 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your recipes! Have fun with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Christmas sugar cookies! I'll have to try your Mamaw's recipe. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to bake too. I can't wait to read the recipes you make and discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to trying your recipe and keeping up with your blog! I love cooking/baking too and am ALWAYS looking for something new to try! Keep at it babester. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be sure to keep checking your blog for new recipes.
    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sugar cookies too. Can't wait for more recipes. Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. can't wait to try these with my kids!! merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sugar cookies are awesome...but you know what is awesomer.....CHEESE...please tag me in all posts that deal with cheese and if you can find a recipe for Cheese Sugar Cookies...then I would be at your mercy! Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sugar cookies are super yummy! I love that you have the option for whole wheat flour. I'm definitely going to try them with whole wheat. I had never thought of that before!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay yay yay! :) It looks great Zada! Merry Christmas sweet girl!
    Mary Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so excited to know that you have a love for baking. You may take that after me! Can't wait to see what you share next.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zada! This is wonderful! So proud of you! Looking forward to seeing lots more from you!
    Sorry I missed you on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey BFF I heard you got a blog.....so excited for you!!! Yum! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey BFF I heard you got a blog. I am so excited for you!!! Yum!! Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Zada--I am not a baker, but I bet you could make me love it...you should come over sometime and we can have a baking party...just say when...

    --Miss Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Zada. I love your blog. Grandma is very proud of you. I'm excited to see what you have in store for us following your blog. Can't wait to see the upcoming recipes. Love and miss you....Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Zada. I finally got to see your blog and I love it. So happy for you. Can't wait to see all the new recipes and Ideas you come up with. Your a very talented and specail young Lady. Grandma is so proud of you. Love and miss you...Grandma

    ReplyDelete